Whirlpool & Catherine Fulvio have teamed up to bring you this amazing Lemon Lime Layer Cake.
Catherine only uses Whirlpool Absolute Ovens with 6th Sense Technology at home and in her Ballyknocken Cookery School.
The unique 6th Sense Technology featured in Whirlpool ovens allows you to select the correct elements to give the best possible cooking performance .
- Pyro Clean – This is a self cleaning feature on the oven.
- Forced Air – With this function you can fill the oven with many different dishes, e.g. Garlic Bread, Apple Pie, Roast Chicken etc all at the same time and there is no mingling of flavours or smells. The oven pulls the air towards the fan element at the back and burns off any smells.
- Dough Proving – This function will prove 1kg of dough per hour.
- Keep Warm – This will keep your dishes warm without drying it out for up to 4 hours.
- Soft Close Door – The door will not slam, reduces damage to the hinges and glass, also very beneficial for baking soufflés etc.
- Telescopic Rails – the consumer does not have to lift the trays from the oven when checking dishes.
Lemon Lime Layer Cake
For the cake:
- 175g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 280g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60ml low fat milk (you may need less)
For the filling:
- 4 heaped tbsp lemon curd
- 1 lime, zest only
- 50g mascarpone
- 150g whipped cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
For the butter cream:
- 100g softened butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 lime, sliced, for decorating
- 1 lemon, sliced, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line 2 x 20cm round tins with parchment.
- Cream the butter, sugar, lemon zest together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, beating well. Carefully fold in the flour and baking powder and stir in enough milk to form a soft cake batter.
- Using a spatula divide the cake mix into the 2 prepared tins and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean. Leave to cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the filling, carefully fold all the ingredients for the filling together and keep in the fridge.
- To make the butter cream, place the softened butter in a mixer and cream up to a pale colour, adding in the icing sugar, spoonfuls at a time. Add the honey and add sufficient lemon juice for a sharp butter cream.
- When the cake is completely cooled, slice each cake layer in half using a bread knife.
- When you are ready to serve, place one cake layer on a pretty cake stand and spread a third of the filling over the cake, place the next layer of cake on top and spread with filling, followed by the next until you have a plain top layer.
- Spread the butter cream on top smoothly and arrange the lemon and lime slices on top in twists or by laying them flat on the butter cream.