Lemon Drizzle Loaf is probably one of the nation’s most favourite baked treat! And this recipe will soon become your favourite too. It’s an easy all-in-one method, so quick to mix and no-fail, with a lovely lemon flavour throughout. The drizzle leaves a light crunchy glaze on top. Perfect for any occasion! This recipe is for a 4lb loaf, recipe can be halved to make a smaller 2lb loaf, simply bake for 35-40 minutes.
For the loaf:
- 225g self raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g butter, very soft
- 4 eggs
- 125ml milk
- Zest from 3 medium lemons
For the drizzle:
- Juice from 3 medium lemons
- 150g caster sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted/gas 4 and line a large 23cmx13cm (9x5inch) 4lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Combine all loaf ingredients in a large bowl then mix just until batter is smooth. You can use a stand mixer, hand mixer or food processor.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake in pre-heated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack, then use a skewer to poke holes into the loaf.
- Combine lemon juice and sugar in a small jug, give a quick stir just to combine. Slowly pour drizzle mixture over all over the hot loaf. Leave to soak and cool completely in the loaf tin on the wire rack before turning out and removing parchment paper.
- Lemon loaf looks lovely garnished with fresh lemon zest or a dusting of icing sugar.
- Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature. Can be frozen for up to 3 months, wrap well with clingfilm or place in airtight freezer bag. Leave in the fridge overnight to defrost.
- Recipe can be halved to make a smaller 2lb loaf, simply bake for 35-40 minutes.