Banoffee TraybakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
For the sponge:
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 4 large eggs
- 100g plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g self raising flour
For the top:
- 1x 400g tin caramel
- 500ml double cream, whipped
- Grated dark chocolate
- Fresh banana slices
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan assisted and line a 20x30cm (8x11 inch) rectangle baking tin with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer or by hand, cream together sugar and butter. Add the mashed banana and eggs then mix until combined.
- Add the yoghurt, vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Finally, add the flour and mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking tin and bake until a knife or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack. Once cool, you can remove sponge from the pan and turn it over on a cutting board then carefully peel the parchment away from the cake. Return the sponge to the tin (with or without the parchment paper).
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon (or something similar, roughly the circumference of a pencil) to poke 4 rows of 6 holes along the cake almost to the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the caramel from the tin directly onto the cake then use a spatula or the back of a large spoon to spread it evenly over the top.
- Serve portions of the traybake with large dollops of whipped cream, a sprinkling of shaved dark chocolate and a slice or two of fresh banana.
- Store the cake in the fridge covered with clingfilm or re-usable food wraps for up to 5 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving for the best flavour.