Carol’s Stock Market’s delicious beef stroganoff. This is the perfect family meal.
Beef StroganoffAdd to My Cookbook
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 tbsp flour
- 500g sirloin or rump steak, sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 100ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150g crème fraîche
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Salt & pepper
- 4 portions cooked rice, potatoes or pappardelle pasta
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, then add a drizzle of olive oil and 1 tbsp of the butter. Season the flour with salt and pepper then sprinkle over the meat and toss lightly to coat. Increase heat to high then add the beef to the pan to sear on all sides, do this in 2 or 3 batches so that the pan is not over-crowded. Set the cooked beef aside on a plate.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan along with the rest of the butter and lower heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and cook just until they soften, 3-5 minutes. Lower heat to medium then add the shallot and garlic, cook until onions are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the beef stock, tomato purée and mustard. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for 5-8 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the crème fraîche and fresh thyme along with the cooked beef, taste for seasoning and add more if needed, then cook for a final 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of rice, potatoes or pasta. Garnish with a generous sprinkling of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley.