Dubliner Cheese, Beef & Mushroom Pie. A tummy-filling & heart-warming pie perfect for colder weather. This recipe is sponsored by Dubliner Cheese.
Dubliner Cheese, Beef & Mushroom PieAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 600g stewing beef, cubed
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp paprika
- 250g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 100g Dubliner Vintage, thickly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp of water
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, once hot, add a generous drizzle of olive oil
- Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium then push the meat to one side of the pan then add the onion and garlic. You can add a drizzle of olive oil if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes until onion has softened.
- Mix with the meat along with tomato purée. Pour in the beef stock and add the carrot, celery, sugar, bay leaf, paprika and mushrooms. Stir to combine then leave to gently simmer uncovered on low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 180°C fan.
- Spoon cooked filling into a pie dish then arrange slices of Dubliner Vintage on top.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash around the lip of the pie dish. Lay the sheet of puff pastry on top and press well around the edges so that it sticks to the pie dish. Trim away excess pastry. You can cut out leaves or other shapes to decorate the top of the pie with the trimmed pastry.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash and stick on any decorative touches you like, brush those with egg wash to finish.
- Use a small sharp knife to pierce the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Place pit dish on a baking tray to catch any spills then bake in pre-heated oven until pastry is golden and crisp, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot.