This Maryanne Dalton’s All in One Easiest Ever Chocolate Cake.
Easiest Ever Chocolate CakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3.2 /5)
- 10 ratings
- 2 Large Eggs
- 200g Sugar (1 cup)
- 235g Plain Flour (1 ½ cups)
- 120g Butter, softened (¼ 1lb block)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 35g Cocoa Power (1/3 cup)
- 200ml Sour Cream (1 tub)
- 1 tsp Baking power
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 375g Icing sugar (2 ½ cups)
- 200g Dark chocolate (8 oz)
- 85g Butter (3 oz)
- 155ml Sour Cream (2/3 tub)
- 1-2 tsp Vanilla Essence (1-2 tsp)
- Optional: 2 oz melted chocolate to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (regular)/165°C (fan), gas mark 4.
- Prepare 2 x 8inch sandwich tins (at least 2” in height) by greasing and lining the bottom of the tin with baking parchment.
- Place all the cake ingredients into either the bowl of a mixer or a food processor
- Mix the cake batter just until it looks smooth and there are no lumps.
- Divide the cake batter approximately equally between your two tins.
- Place the cake tins into the oven in a central shelf and bake for 25 minutes.
- Check to see if the cakes are cooked by sliding a clean knife or skewer into the centre of the cake and seeing it come out clean. Also, the cake shrinking away from the sides of the tin is a good sign that the cakes are cooked.
- Remove from the tins and allow them to fully cool on a rack.
- For the icing:Place your butter and dark chocolate into a bowl and melt in the microwave, ensuring all chocolate is well dissolved.
- Measure out your icing sugar into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Pour your melted chocolate and butter mixture into the icing sugar and add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Mix all the ingredients until a smooth icing consistency has been achieved Then place in the fridge until the frosting has cooled.
- Assembly:Place the first of your cooled cakes onto a serving plate and use approximately 1/3 of your frosting on top, spreading it all over the surface. Place the second cooled cake on top and line it up so that it is sitting on top of the first cake.
- Place the rest of the frosting on to the cake and use a pallet knife or spatula to spread the frosting over the top of the cake and work it down the sides.
- Place in the fridge to chill and set.
- Optionally, melt 50g of dark or white chocolate in the microwave and use a teaspoon to drizzle over the chilled cake.