Catherine Fulvio for Whirlpool Mexican Brownies. Inspired by Mexican Hot Chocolate, these brownies are a little unusual but the chilli, chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla do work well together. They are delicious served with coffee but equally sumptuous as a dessert with orange mascarpone.
Mexican BrowniesAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- ½ large red chilli, finely chopped
- 50ml water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 170g dark chocolate drops (min 70% cocoa recommended)
- 100g plain flour, sieved
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- To prepare the brownies, preheat the Whirlpool 6th sense oven to 170°C/fan 150°C, or select the Ready2cook finction.
- Line the base of a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
- Place the chopped red chilli in a saucepan with the water and simmer on low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes until the chilli is soft. Drain off the water and set the chilli aside.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Melt the chocolate, butter and chilli for 2-3 minutes @ 350° in the Whirlpool microwave. Leave to cool down slightly.
- Stir the chilli chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until just set.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- Peel off the parchment paper on the sides and cut into 16 squares.
- To serve, dust with cocoa powder.