We have teamed with James Whelan Butchers to bring you the 12 Days of Beef Dripping Recipes. So far we have given you Sticky Roast Parsnips, Chantenay Carrots, Glazed Sprouts & Apples, Mince Pies , Beef Dripping Shortcrust Pork and Cranberry Sausage Rolls, Roast Potatoes & D’s Skillet Gravy We have the perfect scrumptious recipes to get your tastebuds tingling just in time for Christmas….Enjoy!
12 Days Of Beef Dripping Recipes, Day 6: Yorkshire Puddings
Everyone loves Yorkshire pudding — fact. A muffin tin is ideal for making these attractive individual puddings, but you can of course use the mixture to make one large pudding that you serve in slices — it’s your choice. Either is delicious.
Makes 12 muffin-sized puddings
- 150 g plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 110 ml water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- beef dripping, melted (to grease the tin)
- Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and incorporate gradually, using an electric hand whisk. Add the milk, water and seasoning and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- About 15 minutes before the beef is ready to come out of the oven, increase the heat to 220 C. Use a pastry brush to grease the muffin tin (or a roasting tin) with the melted dripping and place it in the oven to heat.
- After about ten minutes, add the batter to the tin and return to the oven on as high a shelf as you can for about 25–30 minutes, or until the puddings have risen and look crisp and golden.
- While the puddings are cooking, get everything else ready. Serve immediately.
Awarded the Great Taste Golden Fork award and named Supreme Champion at this year’s prestigious awards in London, James Whelan Beef Dripping is produced in Clonmel by Pat Whelan, a fifth generation butcher, and made from the purest suet from grass fed Irish Angus and Hereford beef, and wrapped simply in white waxed paper. These magical creamy ingots transform roast vegetables, crisp potatoes into delicious roasters and make the most perfectly golden fish and chips. The product stays fresh for up to six months, simply stored in a cool dark place.
In the words of Pat Whelan, “It’s the taste of my childhood, our Beef Dripping is nutrient rich, high in omega-3 acids, clean, pure and carries great flavour, whether for frying a steak, roasting potatoes, or spread onto good bread like lardo.” Just a spoonful of this once forgotten favourite can form part of a balanced diet and impart a rich savoury note into all manner of dishes, from roast potatoes and shortcrust pastry to the effortless indulgence of dripping on toast with a pinch of salt.
The Beef Dripping,priced €3.99, is available online at www.jameswhelanbutchers.com and from James Whelan Butchers at Clonmel, Tipperary, Avoca Food Market, Monkstown and Avoca, Rathcoole.