Welcome to episode three of “The Italian Job”, our Chef Recipe Series with Catherine Fulvio. In our third instalment you will learn how to make Roasted Cod with Red Pepper and Fennel Sauce.
Holding true to her Italian roots Catherine Fulvio from will showcase a unique selection of Italian themed-recipe.
Our Chef Recipe Series will feature Catherine’s recipes ranging from a simple Bellini to Roasted Cod with Red Pepper and Fennel Sauce to a Panna Cotta with Plum and Berry Compote.
Roasted Cod with Red Pepper and Fennel Sauce
for the red pepper sauce:
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- ½ fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
For the roasted cod
- 4 x 100g cod fillets, 3cm thick
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wilted spinach, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Small sprigs of rosemary, to garnish
- Preheat the oven 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 7.
- To roast the peppers, place them in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until charred, remove and place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave for 15 minutes and the skin will easily peel off. Deseed and roughly chop and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds before adding the chilli and rosemary. Add the chopped fennel and sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes stirring from time to time. Add the roasted red peppers and stock and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring from time to time and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend ¾ of the sauce until smooth and return it into the remaining sauce. Set aside.
- To roast the cod, reduce the oven temperature to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Drizzle a little olive oil into a roasting pan, place the cod fillets into the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle over the lemon juice and dill and roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the fish is cooked. Test this by inserting a knife into the fish and it should flake away.
- To serve, spoon the wilted spinach on a serving platter, place the cods on top. Spoon over some sauce. Arrange the lemon wedges on the side and a sprig of rosemary on top.