This Halloween, Keelings Fruit has cast a spell on its eating apples. From today for a limited time, Keelings packs of apples in store are turning into Monster Apples. Kids across Ireland have the chance to get creative and make their own scary faces with free Monster Stickers in Keelings packs of eating apples. We have tried it out with our kids and they loved it!
This is an exciting time for kids but Keelings’ nutritionist Aveen Bannon says we should be careful about how much sugary and fatty foods our kids obtain at this time of year.
Top tips from Keelings this Halloween:
• Don’t buy too many sweets and treats for Halloween; leftovers can do just as must damage!
• Make some seasonal fruity treats with the kids…it’s always fun to try something you have made yourself!
• Have a good nutritious dinner before trick o treating.
• Set limits on the treats consumed but set the limit before you go out trick o treating to avoid arguments later.
• Set a limit on how long you go out trick o treating e.g. a time limit or when your bag is full it’s time to go home.
• Store the treats away once kids have gone to bed, not only will it avoid temptation for you to eat some treats but also will be out of kids reach the following day.
• Try to encourage a traditional Halloween event, bobbing for apples is great fun and can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike…
Spooky Apple & Pear Puff Parcels Recipe
- 2-3 Keelings apples cored and peeled
- 2 Keelings pears cored and peeled
- 2 tbsp. of raisins or sultanas
- Sheet of puff pastry
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1 egg – beaten to make egg wash
- Preheat oven to 180’. Roll out puff pastry and cut into different Halloween shapes e.g. circles for pumpkins, witches hats, broomsticks. Make two of each shape.
- Chop up the apple and pear and mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place one of each puff pastry shape on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place a spoonful of fruit mix onto each puff pastry shape. Then top each one with the corresponding pastry shape. Pat around the edges with your finger or a fork to create little puff pastry parcels.
- Brush each pastry parcel with some egg wash and sprinkle some brown sugar over the parcels. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Check out #MonsterApples gallery on Keelings’ Facebook page.