Milk chocolate digestives top Irish biscuit sales
Tesco Ireland has delved into biscuit sales over the past 20 weeks to see what biscuits are lining tins across Ireland. As the second biggest tea drinkers in the world, consuming approximately 726 standard cups of tea per head every year, the question to dunk biscuits in tea can divide households. Milk chocolate digestives came out on top in all provinces with chocolate chip cookies trailing behind in second place. Battling it out for third position were plain digestives and OREO vanilla with OREO winning out due to a strong performance in the Dublin area.
The top 5 biscuits in Ireland according to sales over the past 20 weeks in Tesco stores:
1. Milk chocolate digestives – A chocolatey version of the traditional digestive biscuit with one side of the biscuit coated in a layer of milk chocolate
2. Chocolate chip cookies – Crunchy cookies with chocolate chips that are a popular accompaniment to a glass of ice cold milk in the U.S
3. OREO vanilla – A chocolate sandwich biscuit filled with a smooth creamy vanilla flavour centre
4. McVities plain digestives – Named after their popularity as a digestion aid after a big meal, these versatile biscuits are frequently used as an accompaniment to cheese or a cheesecake base.
5. Rich Tea – a sweet biscuit with a unique texture that is often referred to as the quintessential tea dunking biscuit. Popular with the British royal family, Prince William’s groom’s cake at his wedding reception in 2011 was reportedly made from 1,700 McVitie’s Rich Tea biscuits and 17kg of chocolate.