Flavour of Killorglin food festival is back by popular demand for its third year following a hugely successful event last year. The festival, which is themed ‘A Step Back in Time’, takes place from Friday, 12th September to Sunday, 14th September and includes a full programme of events that will take place around the town.
The Flavour of Killorglin food festival is centred on providing a platform for local food producers to sample their excellent food produce as well as giving local businesses such as restaurants the opportunity to showcase their first-class services. Based on the theme, the food and drink sampled over the weekend will focus on how quality local food can provide the palette with an international taste experience.
There is a full programme of events planned for the weekend, including music, taste tours, charity wedding, craft beer and whiskey tasting, lectures and unique collaborations between food and drink providers. Some of the festival highlights include:
- Mock Wedding, Friday, 12th September: Come celebrate with us in this worthy fundraiser for the Hospice association and St. Josephs Home. ‘It will All End in Tears’ is a production like no other, where you become just as much part of the entertainment as the local performers. This concept was first performed in 2007 with nearly €8,000 raised for the Hospice association at that stage
- Caragh Lake Gourmet Challenge, Saturday, 13th September: As the old saying goes. ‘There is no such thing as a free meal’. This is certainly very true when it comes to the Caragh Lake Gourmet Challenge. Here you will have to complete a series of adventure challenges in order to savour the native culinary delights in the internationally renowned restaurants and amenities located on the shores of beautiful Caragh Lake. From your introductory coffee at the Red Fox Kerry Bog Village to starter in Carrig House, main course at Ard Na Sidhe and to top it off – desert by Nicks at Cappanalea.
- Try some fishing on the Laune
- The Taste Trail, Saturday, 13th September: The public can purchase Flavour Vouchers that can be redeemed at over 25 venues on the The Taste Trail.
- Flavour Market, Sunday, 14th September: Library Place will host the Flavour Market where over 25 plus local producers will showcase and sell the best of local produce. The Mini-Market will also have 10 young local budding food entrepreneurs selling their wares. Entertainment will be provided in the form of the pleasant tones of The Charms Jazz band.
- Laune Walking Festival, Friday, 12th – Saturday, 14th September: Laune Mountaineering club will be hosting a walking festival this same weekend. There will be walks to cater for varying abilities. Young and old are encouraged to participate.
Pat Browne, chairman of this year’s festival said. “Not only do we want to showcase the food and associations that Killorglin has with food, we want to give visitors a flavour of town, its people, its dynamism and its environs. We want to nurture and promote all that is good with Killorglin and within its peoples.
The committee has been working hard to ensure that this year’s festival builds on the success of last year’s event is bigger and better than last year. We were delighted with the reaction last year from the food producers and exhibitors but also from the visitors to the town who showed a real love for our local food produce. We know that this year’s event will be even more successful as word spreads throughout the country and beyond that Kerry, and Killorglin in particular, is a haven for artisan food lovers,” he added.