Carrot and Oat Bran Cake created by Mary Flahavan for Flahavan’s
Carrot and Oat Bran CakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 100g Flahavan's Oat Bran or Flahavan's Progress Oatlets
- 125g vegetable oil
- 125g flour
- 200g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 200g grated carrot
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter
- 125g icing sugar
- 50g cream cheese
- 100g Flahavan's Jumbo Oats
- 2 tbps sunflower oil
- 50g honey
- Orange rind to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4.
- If using porridge oats instead of oat bran blitz in a food processor for approx. 1 minute until they are a finer texture.
- Add all the cake ingredients to the food processor and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a 2lb loaf tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 1-1¼"hours. Allow to cool on wire rack.
- For the Jumbo oats topping: Heat the oil and honey in a small saucepan, add the jumbo oats and mix well.Spread on to a baking tray, lined with parchment and bake at 150°C / 300°F / Gas mark 2 for approx. 15 minutes until golden brown.
- For the icing: Blend the butter, icing sugar and cream cheese in a food processor or mixer until smooth. Spread the icing over the cooled cake, sprinkle with some of the toasted jumbo oats and decorate with orange rind as desired.
- Tip: The remaining toasted oats can be stored in an airtight container and are delicious sprinkled over yogurt or stewed fruit.