Chocolate & Candied Orange Eclairs – Chef Shane Smith makes choux pastry a breeze with fantastic tips and tricks for an airy pastry with a golden shell. These mini eclairs are filled with whipped cream, topped with dark chocolate and bejewelled with candied orange, a perfect addition to an afternoon tea.
Chocolate & Candied Orange EclairsAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
For the choux pastry:
- 115ml water
- 50g unsalted butter
- 65g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 medium eggs
For the candied orange:
- 1 large orange
- 300g caster sugar
- 200ml water
- 300g dark chocolate, melted
- 400ml double cream, whipped
- Edible gold spray (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/425°F/ Gas 6. Line 2 or 3 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Gently heat the water and butter over low heat until butter is melted. Tip: Don’t be tempted to heat them quickly as more water will evaporate which will alter the water content of your dough and can then affect the consistency.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Once the butter is melted, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Add the flour and salt. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth dough that comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Set aside to cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- Place this dough in a bowl, whisk one of your eggs in a small bowl and set aside. Add the remaining egg to the warm dough and mix until fully incorporated. Add a little of the remaining beaten egg, a little at a time until the dough is shiny and at a consistency that will hold its shape when piped. Tip: Adding the 2nd egg in parts means you can stop adding when you have the correct consistency.
- Place this mix into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle. Stick down the parchment paper to the trays with small dot of pastry in each corner, then pipe 20 mini eclairs. Allow them room to spread during cooking.
- Place in the middle of the preheated oven & bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the candied orange, using a peeler, peel the rind of the orange and cut into strips.
- Bring the water and 200g of the caster sugar to the boil and add the orange peel.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the rind is soft and no longer bitter. Remove from the syrup and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Finally, toss in the remaining 100g caster sugar and set aside.
- To assemble, put the whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle. Cut the eclair in half lengthways, pipe cream into the centre and dip the top in melted dark chocolate. Place the top of the eclair on and spray with edible gold spray and top with a piece of candied orange
- Tip: You can change the shape and make profiteroles instead.
Thu, 04 Mar 2021
Wed, 24 Feb 2021
Thu, 18 Feb 2021
Thu, 11 Feb 2021
Tue, 09 Feb 2021