Cranberry and Pear Fruit Mince Pies. Christmas baking is a special time so take your time and enjoy every moment. Created by Catherine Fulvio for Whirlpool
Cranberry and Pear Fruit Mince PiesAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 150g fruit mince
- 1 pear, peel and dice finely
- 4 tbsp dried cranberries, soaked in rum
For the pastry:
- 350g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 1 orange, zest only
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 2 egg yolks, beaten (you may not use all)
- Egg wash, to glaze
- Icing sugar, to serve
- To make the filling, combine the fruit mince with the diced pears and cranberries in a saucepan over a low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pastry, place the sifted flour and ground almonds into a large bowl. Add in the grated orange zest and rub in the diced butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix some of the egg yolk in to form a firm pastry. It may be necessary to add more egg, but the pastry should not be too soft or damp. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Brush 12 shallow muffin tins with melted butter and dust with flour or ground almonds.
- Divide the pastry in half and roll one half out thinly and cut out circles the same size as the tin and line with pastry. Fill each pastry case with enough mincemeat to come about three-quarters of the way up the pastry. Roll out the remaining pastry and either stamp into shapes, such as stars, lightly brush with egg wash and press firmly on top of the mincemeat or cut into circles to fit the tarts as lids. Brush the pastry edges with egg wash and press the tops down lightly, sealing the edges carefully.
- Gently make 2 small holes with a sharp knife in each pie for the steam to escape if you are using sealed pastry lids. Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 to 20 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly in the tins before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm sprinkled with icing sugar. Once completely cold the pies can be frozen in an airtight container.
- Tip: to make a quick mincemeat 100g butter, 80g soft dark brown sugar, 100g raisins, 80g sultanas, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbsp rum and 3 tbsp candied mixed fruit peel
- Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until softened. Add a little water if too dense. Cool completely and use within a few days.