This 1980s classic is making a return to dinner party menus!
Duck á L’OrangeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 3 oranges
- 1.8kg duck
- 40g unsalted butter
- 235ml chicken stock
- 1 glass red wine
- 30ml honey
- 60ml freshly squeezed orange juice
For the glaze:
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1tsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp flour
- 470ml stock (chicken)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Take the rind of one of the oranges and place inside the duck with butter and seasoning.
- Spread the duck with butter. Place in a roasting tray and cover with the stock. Roast in a for around 15 minutes per lb (500g), basting every 20 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile prepare the orange sauce. Cut the oranges into little pieces, removing the pips and membranes.
- In a pan, sweat the onion, carrot and celery in the olive oil for ten minutes, until the vegetables are softened and cooked through. Add in the flour and make a roux base stirring the entire time. When it has becomes brown in colour, but has not burned, take it off the heat and cool a little and then add in half of the stock a little and slowly stirring the whole time to present lumps forming. Season and bring sauce to the boil and then simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add in the remaining stock and bring back to the boil before allowing to simmer again and wait until it become a syrup.
- Remove the duck from the roasting tin and keep hot. Place on a serving dish.Remove any fat from the roasting tin and leave the sediment before pouring into the sauce pot. Add the wine and orange juice and bring to the boil.
- Then strain it before pouring over the duck.
- Garnish with orange segments before serving.