Halloween Basket Cake Created by Irish Blogger Karyn Ryan
Halloween Basket CakeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 225g plain flour
- 350g caster sugar
- 85g cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml boiling water
- 1 jar chocolate spread
- 250g butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- Food colouring Gel Food Colour orange and green
- Selection of sweets and fruit for top of cake
- Icing bags and basket weave tips
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- Put all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will now be very liquid.)
- Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely. While cakes are cooling make butter cream, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Divide mixture in two, add a few drops of green to one bowl and a few drops of orange to the other until you get the depth of colour you are happy with.
- Sandwich the chocolate cakes together with a few dollops of chocolate spread.
- Cover cake with green buttercream, not too thickly.
- Put remainder of the buttercream mixture into 2 icing bags with basket weave tips and decorate the sides to create a basket weave. Please note… you don’t have to use basket weave you can ice it any way you want to!!!!
- Place in the fridge for an hour to firm up, just before serving decorate with some Halloween sweets and fruit