Lamb do PyazaAdd to My Cookbook
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermed..
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 kilo lamb (diced leg of lamb - ask your butcher)
- 2 to 3 tbsp of ghee or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 Whole peppercorns
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder or paprika or mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds (powdered) roasted
- 1 tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 1 large or 2 medium onions finely grated
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 1 Green chilli (slit - optional)
- 3 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped - and few to garnish
- Heat the ghee or oil in a non-stick heavy bottom saucepan, and add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves and fennel seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter add the ginger and garlic paste and the grated onions. Sauté for 2 to 3 mins until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the diced lamb pieces and fry over high heat for about 2 to 3 mins reduce the heat and cover and let cook till tender for 10 mins.
- Now add the yoghurt, stir-frying continuously so that it blends well and does not curdle, this step is important otherwise the yogurt will curdle. Now cook until the oil separates, this will take about 5 to 8 mins.
- Now add the spices - garam masala, salt, turmeric, coriander and chilli powder or paprika. Continue cooking on high heat and add the green chillies and sliced onions. Mix everything well until all the spices and the lamb is coated with the spices.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 5 to 8 mins until the fat sererates. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve warm with naan or basmati rice.