Maple and Pecan Pie. Just like all the sweet treats and desserts in this section, this maple and pecan pie must be viewed as an occasional ‘cheat’ food if you want to look and feel your most healthy and beautiful. While it’s raw, vegan and free from refined sugar, dairy and gluten, the ingredients are still energy rich. However, this is a fantastic dessert to make for friends and family on special feast days like Christmas, Easter or birthdays. I’ve made this as a vegan option on Christmas Day for the past few years and it always gets polished off. Maple and pecan is a classic flavour combo, enhanced even more by the warming spices. I also like to decorate the pie with some fresh blueberries for a dash of colour and added antioxidants.This recipe is from Rosanna Davison ‘Eat Yourself Beautiful’.
Maple and Pecan PieAdd to My Cookbook
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
For the filling:
- 150g dates, pitted
- 100g chopped pecans
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 heaped tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 60g fresh blueberries, to decorate
- 30g whole pecans, to decorate
For the crust:
- 145g ground almonds
- 85g pure maple syrup
- 55g organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak the dates in a small bowl of warm water for 15–20 minutes to soften. Drain well.
- Place all the ingredients for the crust into a blender or food processor and combine until a dough forms. Press firmly and evenly into a medium-sized round silicone or springform tin.
- Place the soaked dates, chopped pecans, banana, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg into the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the filling over the crust, ensuring it’s flat and even. Decorate with the blueberries and whole pecans. Be creative! Transfer to the freezer and allow it to set for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the pie from the freezer and carefully cut into slices with a sharp knife. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for up to three months.