Courtesy of Le Creuset.
Persian Beef CasseroleAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4 /5)
- 1 rating
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1kg lean braising steak, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumn
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 750ml beef stock, heated
- 175g green lentils, washed
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Rice and flatbreads
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/375°F/gas mark 4.
- Heat half the olive oil in a casserole dish or oven-proof saucepan over a low to medium heat, add the sliced onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, remove the onions from the pot with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot and heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir-fry the beef, a little at a time, so not to overcrowd the pot.
- Once the beef is nicely browned, return the fried onions to the pot along with the garlic, turmeric and cumin. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée and hot beef stock. Bring the pot to a simmer, place on the lid and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the washed lentils, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/gas mark 3/300°F and cook for 1 ¼ –1 ½ hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Finish the dish by stirring in the fresh lime juice and chopped mint, adjust the seasoning to taste with a little salt.
- Serve with rice and flatbreads.