A beautiful Guinness bread by top Irish food writer Máirín UíChomain
Quick Guinness BreadAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 450g ready-made Irish brown bread mix
- 25g oat bran
- 25g wheat germ
- 25g sunflower seeds, crushed or whole
- 50g figs, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp Irish honey
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 300ml Guinness
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°/Gas mark 5. If using a fan oven, reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees. Grease a 23 x 11cm loaf tin.
- Place the bread mix in a large bowl. Add the bran, wheat germ, sunflower seeds and fix and mix.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix honey, molasses, sunflower oil and Guinness together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in most of the liquid and mix from the centre out with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined and you get a nice soft mixture – not too runny but not at all firm.
- Add the remaining liquid slowly, making sure that is can be absorbed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Note: you can also divide the mixture between two smaller loaf tins and bake for 30-35minutes.