Recipes from Bread on the Table by Valerie O’Connor, published by The O’Brien Press. For this recipe and more you can buy the her book here.
Rye and Poppyseed WedgesAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4 /5)
- 1 rating
- 225g/8oz white spelt or plain flour
- 125g/5oz rye flour
- ½ tsp bread soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp/5g salt
- 25g/1oz chilled butter
- 3 tsp poppy seeds
- 250ml/8floz milk
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
- In a large bowl mix the flours, bread soda and baking powder and mix in the salt.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then mix in most of the poppy seeds.
- Pour in most of the milk and, using a knife, bring the mixture together.
- Tip the mixture onto a floured surface and gently knead it just to bring it all together. Form it into a round shape and gently press it down to a round of about 1inch/2½ cm thick.
- Place the loaf on a well-floured baking tray, or one lined with parchment, and cut deep into it to create wedges, brush with a little milk and sprinkle over more poppy seeds.
- Bake in a hot oven for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden.
- This is best eaten while still warm so don’t wait around.