This delicious sage and onion stuffing is a classic! The onions become sweet with slow cooking and the sage is perfect with chicken or turkey. Enjoy alongside your roast or as a filling in a sandwich.
Sage and Onion StuffingAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 55g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped (optional)
- 15 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 250g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat along with the olive oil. Once melted, add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, about 10-15 minutes. Add the sage and cook for further 2 minutes until sage is fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Gently toss until well mixed.
- At this point it can be used to stuff a turkey or chicken. Otherwise, transfer stuffing to a baking dish and bake in a preheated 180°C/350°F/gas 4 oven for 20-30 minutes, until the top is golden and crisp.
- Stuffing can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated after adding the breadcrumbs. Bake for an extra 10 minutes if still chilled.