Our slow cooker 5 spice pulled pork is great for family gatherings or parties. It take minimal effort and tastes amazing. Why not try some pulled pork on a floury bap with some slaw and gherkins. Cook on a low setting for 8 hours.
Slow Cooker 5 Spice Pulled PorkAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1kg pork shoulder, bone & rolled
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil (alternatively use peanut oil)
For the sauce
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 piece of ginger (thumb sized), grated
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 125ml orange juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp apricot jam
- Salt & pepper to season
- Season the pork well with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy frying pan on medium high heat. Add the oil and sear pork until browned all over. If your slow cooker has a searing function you can sear the meat according to the manufacturer's instructions. Remove the pork and transfer it to the slow cooker.
- Add the half of orange juice to the pan to de-glaze, scrape the pan with a spatula removing any left over pieces of pork. Reduce the liquid down slightly.
- Now add all the sauce ingredients (shallots, garlic, ginger, Chinese 5 spice, chilli flakes, brown sugar and soy) and the remaining orange juice.
- Pour the sauce evenly all over the pork. Turn the pork so it is fully coated in the sauce.
- Cook on a low setting for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a large serving plate. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Spoon off any fat from the remaining juice in the slow cooker and discard. Spoon remaining juice over the shredded pork
- Serve with floury baps and some red cabbage slaw and pickled gherkins.