Traditional Brown Soda BreadAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (3.4 /5)
- 11 ratings
- 110g plain flour
- 350g wholemeal flour
- 300ml sour milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bread soda
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Grease a flat baking tray.
- Sieve the flour, salt and bread soda in a bowl, then mix in the flour thoroughly.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the milk and mix from the centre out to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured board and knead until smooth underneath. Turn the smooth side up and flatten to a round 5cm thick.
- Place the dough on a baking tray and cut a cross n the top. Bake for 40 minutes or until the bread gives a hollow sound when the base it tipped. Cool on wire rack.
- Note: one table spoon of ban, wheat germ or oatmeal may be added to the dry ingredients for extra roughage.