Try this beautiful hearty ‘stoopy’ soup from leading Irish food blogger/writer Valerie O’Connor
Val’s Stoopy SoupAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 tsp each cumin and chilli
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin tomatoes
- Squeeze tomato puree
- Salt & pepper
- Handful fresh spinach
- Handful fresh parsley
- 400ml vegetable stock or water
- Chop the onion and garlic and cook them on a low heat in some olive oil, dice a couple of carrots and celery if you have it.
- Add in a teaspoon of chilli flakes/powder and a teaspoon of cumin seeds and cook for a couple minutes more.
- Open the bean tins and rinse the beans in a strainer, lob them into the pot, add a tin of tomatoes, a tin of water or veggie stock, a sage leaf/bay leaf/sprig of thyme or all three or none at all, add a good squeeze of tomato puree.
- Cook the soup for about 40 mins on a low bubble, season with salt and pepper.
- Add in a handful of fresh spinach leaves to just wilt.
- Serve in a bowl with freshly chopped parsley, as its full of vitamin C and tastes great.