A classic victoria sponge recipe.
Victoria SpongeAdd to My Cookbook
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 175g unsalted butter (softened)
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs (beaten)
For the filling:
- 150ml double cream, whipped
- 4 tbsp fruit jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy using a wooden spoon (an electric whisk is also perfect for this). Try to get the mixture as fine as possible.
- Add the eggs gradually. Make sure to beat the mixture well after every pour.
- Once the eggs are added sift the flour and fold gently into the cake mix. Use a spatula to do this (alternatively use a metal spoon).
- Once all the ingredients have been mixed add to a lined or greased round baking cake tins.
- Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes. To make sure it is cooked insert a skewer into one of the cakes and if it comes out cleaned it is cooked.
- Allow to cook for 20 minutes on a wire rack. Then make a sandwich using whipped cream and fruit jam as the filling.